Marriage counseling is so effective, even the president uses it. That’s right, former President and First Lady Michelle and Barack Obama have used marriage counseling as a tool to improve their marriage. With nearly three decades of devotion under their belt, the Obamas are a prime example of the power of couples therapy and commitment. Here we will explore the benefits of marriage counseling and what it could do for your relationship.
Barack and Michelle Obama’s Journey with Marriage Counseling
In an interview with Good Morning America, former First Lady Michelle Obama revealed that she and her husband have gone through marriage counseling. She said, “Marriage counseling for us was one of those ways where we could learn to talk out our differences.” The Obamas found better ways to communicate with one another amidst the immense stress of their positions, and they made it through some of the most chaotic times in their lives – together.
Michelle went on to say, “I know too many young couples who struggle and think somehow, there’s something wrong with them. I want them to know that Michelle and Barack Obama…we work on our marriage and we get help with our marriage when we need it.”
Benefits of Marriage Counseling
The Obamas saw success with marriage counseling, but what about you? What could you learn along the way? Here are some potential benefits of marriage counseling:
- Bring closure to past disagreements
- Learn how to resolve conflicts in a healthy and effective way
- Learn how to communicate your feelings in a way your spouse understands
- Prevent circular arguments that keep coming back in your marriage
- Create a balance of time and responsibilities to reduce stress in the household
- Work through your disputes with the guidance of a licensed marriage counselor
- Gain new insight into your spouse’s thoughts and feelings
- Feel empowered to take on obstacles together as a couple
- Rebuild trust during difficult times (including infidelity and grief)
- Reaffirm your love for one another and your commitment for the future
Each couple is comprised of two unique people, making for an even more unique combination. The lessons you learn and the skills you develop may be different than anyone else. Nevertheless, you can find personalized solutions that work for your relationship, all with the help of marriage counseling.
How to Keep a Long-Lasting Marriage
Is marriage counseling the secret to a long-lasting marriage? Yes and no. Going to marriage counseling is an expression of commitment. I love you enough to work through our obstacles. This commitment is plays a crucial role in the longevity of a marriage.
With that in mind, self-care is also important in a long-lasting marriage. Michelle Obama said, “What I learned about myself is that my happiness was up to me.” If you are dealing with depression, anxiety, grief, stress, or other conditions, seek help to improve your circumstances. This in turn will help your marriage.
You have the power to keep your marriage going, for better or for worse. Marriage counseling will teach you how to harness that power so your relationship continues to thrive.
To schedule a confidential appointment for marriage counseling in Wisconsin, contact Sherman Counseling at 920-733-2065.